A little about me.......

       Hi!  My name is Daniel Zapata.  I am extremely excited to collaborate and work with an a amazing group of facilitators for the Balfour Pre College Academy.
       A little about me.....I am a high school art teacher near Bloomington Indiana.  I have been a teacher for twelve years and most of that time I was an elementary art teacher.  That was a lot of fun and I have so many great memories of teaching ages 5 though 12, but once I had the opportunity to teach high school students, I realized I had found my true calling.  I love to engage my student's minds in a way that allows them to explore the process of creativity.  I want to help my students make connections between ideas, previous knowledge, and their own personal experiences in order to solve a problem, make a point, persuade, or beautify through visual art.
       I am a painter and printmaker when I have the time.  I love all types of art however and usually want to experience as much as I can whether making or just looking.  My other loves in life are live music and travel.  I have been blessed with the ability to travel quite a bit throughout my life.  I was a wrestler on a Team Indiana trip to Japan when I was a freshman in high school.  While in college, I studied drawing, art history and Italian in Florence, Italy and traveled throughout Europe as a consequence.  And more recently, in the last decade I have travelled to China two different times to teach and make a connection with a sister school.
       I cannot express how much all of these amazing experiences have influenced my outlook on the world and on life in general.  I hope to be able to encourage all my students to explore the world and to learn as much about it as possible in order to be true global citizens.
                One out a series of 5 in a monochromatic theme: Green Tree...Oil on Canvas  18"x24"

Comments

  1. I forgot to mention one of the most important things about me which is that I'm a proud IU, Bloomington graduate. I have two bachelors degrees. The first is a B.A. in studio art with a concentration in painting and a minor in art history. My second degree is a B.S. in K though 12 art education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.signupgenius.com/school/icebreaker-activities-middle-school-high-school.cfm

    Hi Daniel. Here's a link I found with icebreakers. Personally, I like 21-23 since students can share facts about themselves to everyone and not just a partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! This is Great! I have some up my sleeve but its always nice to get ideas from other people!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Daniel! All of your travel sounds amazing and I imagine would have an amazing impact on your teaching in art. What is your favorite kind of art project to teach? Will you incorporate any of your projects into the Balfour seminars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel. I love teaching ceramics but won't be able to incorporate that without the proper facilities....I also love teaching painting and we will be incorporating that. I am a huge fan of expressionism and symbolism and want to incorporate those aspects while having the students create posters and banners about awareness to accessibility issues that they may face.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weeklong Plan Draft....Comments welcome

Becoming an Activist Artist